Underground strike: When is the London Underground closed?
London Underground stations will be closed today due to a strike which will cause travel chaos for those planning to return to work after the long bank holiday break.
London Underground has advised people not to travel, warning of severe disruption to the network from the start of service on Monday until 8am on Tuesday.
Members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union are taking industrial action in a dispute over jobs and pensions.
Transport for London (TfL) said some rail services will operate but many stations, particularly those in central and south London, will be closed, while others will only be able to open for limited periods.
Other TfL services, including DLR, London Overground and trams, are unaffected by the industrial action and will operate but will be busier.
TfL said no proposals had been tabled on pensions or terms and conditions, and that no one would lose their jobs because of the proposals he put forward.
Under previous funding agreements, the government has required TfL to strive to achieve financial sustainability of its operations by April 2023.
TfL has offered not to recruit in around 500-600 positions as they become vacant.
Andy Lord, chief executive of TfL, has apologized to Londoners for the impact the Tube strike will have on their journeys, acknowledging the damage it will cause to the economy “at a time when public transport plays a role crucial in the recovery of the capital”.
He said: ‘While our aim is always to help everyone get around London whenever they want, the expected impact of the RMT’s action means we must advise people to only travel if necessary. , as many stations may be closed.
“Alternatives to the metro, including the bus and train networks, are likely to be much busier than usual and we expect the severe disruption caused by this strike to continue into the morning of Tuesday June 7.
“No changes have been proposed to pensions and no one has lost or will lose their jobs as a result of the proposals we have put forward.”
The RMT said that under the current proposals 600 jobs will be lost, working agreements will be torn up and the looming threat to pensions remains in place.
General Secretary Mick Lynch said: “We demand a direct face-to-face meeting with Mayor Sadiq Khan to settle this mess.
“There is no point in our union continuing to sit in front of management representatives who have neither the desire nor the authority to negotiate a settlement, when the power rests with the mayor.”
Richard Burge, chief executive of the London Chamber of Commerce, echoed Mr Lord’s sentiments, saying he was ‘hugely disappointed that the RMT had called for a massive walkout by TfL workers close to the Jubilee weekend of the queen when London is full of visitors”.
He added: “The past two years have hit London disproportionately and the capital is desperately trying to reclaim some sense of normalcy after two tumultuous years.
“This strike now puts TfL in a position where it has to recommend that Londoners work from home.
“Ultimately, this will only hurt London’s economy and it’s time for TfL to settle its dispute with the RMT so we can start building prosperity again and show the world that London is an open business. “
RMT members on the metro are also acting outside of a strike, which means station staff may not be working overtime until Sunday July 10, which could lead to short-term station closures. prior notice.